Ruby is the colour of all red wine when is made. Ruby Port has a red colour, predominant red fruit flavours and on the mouth it is full bodied.
It goes to bottle when is still young to preserve its red colour and fresh flavours do oxidize. It may age in oak but if so it is for a short period time, no more than few years and almost always in oak vats of big capacity in order to reduce the influence of the oxygen in its ageing. Ruby style varies depending on how intense the colour is, complex the flavours and the mouth full bodied. From less to more, here is the order:
- Ruby - a blend of around three years old Port; 50 ml, 375 ml, 750 ml
- Reserve Ruby - a blend of around six years old Port; 750 ml
- Late Bottled Vintage 2011 - single harvest bottled 4 to 6 years after the harvest; 375 ml, 750 ml
- Crusted - Vintage Port style bottled 2 to 5 years after the vintage and aged in the cellar for at least three years so as to develop a crust inside the bottle;
- Vintage - single harvest bottled 2 years after the harvest; 375 ml, 750 ml, 1500 ml, 3000 ml, 6000 ml